See facebook for other news stories
- Prayers as we approach COP26 October 23, 2021admin
Prayers as we approach COP26: 11 prayers that we are encouraged to pray by His Holiness, pope Francis:
We must adapt our socio-economic models so they have a human face, because many models have lost it. Thinking about these situations, in God’s name I ask:
- That governments and all politicians work for the common good. Let them beware of listening only to the economic elite; may they be servants of those people who ask for land, shelter and work and a good life in harmony with all humanity and creation.
- Powerful countries to stop aggression, blockades and unilateral sanctions against any country anywhere on earth and that conflicts be resolved in multilateral fora such as the United Nations.
- That the media put an end to the logic of post-truth, disinformation, defamation, slander and that sick attraction for scandal and that they seek to contribute to human fraternity.
- The telecommunications giants to liberalise access to educational material and exchange with teachers via the internet so that poor children can be educated even under quarantine.
- Technology giants to stop preying on human weakness, people’s vulnerability, in order to make a profit.
- Arms manufacturers and dealers to totally cease their activity, that foments violence and war, often in the context of geopolitical games that costs millions of lives and displaces many people.
- The big food corporations to stop imposing monopolistic production and distribution structures that inflate prices and end up withholding bread from the hungry.
- The large mining, oil, forestry, real estate, agribusiness companies to stop destroying nature, to stop polluting, to stop intoxicating people and food.
- Financial groups and international credit institutions to guarantee poor countries the basic needs of their people and to waive those debts so often contracted against the interests of those same peoples.
- The big laboratories to liberalise patents and to carry out a gesture of humanity and allow every human being access to the vaccine.
- All of us religious leaders, that we never use God’s name to foment wars. Let us stand by our people, the workers, the humble, and fight together with them so that integral human development may become a reality. Let us build bridges of love.
- Prayer in the Park August 2, 2021admin
In the most recent in the series of monthly events Towards COP26, 16 people met on Selkirk Hill on Sunday afternoon, 1st August, to think and pray about climate issues. Being outside in a beautiful green space, rich in flowers, grasses, trees, and running water on a lovely afternoon helped focus our minds some of the issues affecting the planet.
We prayed for countries most impacted by climate change and for leaders and politicians who will be attending COP26 in Glasgow to be ambitious in their commitments and actions.The Wave of Hope photo will join Tearfund’s visual petition.
Continue reading →
- Eco-chaplain visit July 19, 2021admin
Eco-chaplain visit – 11th July 2021
This Sunday, Rev. David Coleman, environmental chaplain to Eco-congregation Scotland, led our service. Our Gold Award was acknowledged, and we were inspired and challenged to see our environmental concern as integral to our faith and action. David also conducted the service in Ashkirk, where he was fed and watered afterwards at The Smiddy and at Martin and Barbara’s house.
Continue reading →
- Linking with Ettrick and Yarrow May 4, 2021admin
Linking with Ettrick and Yarrow – 4th May 2021
Following approval by Melrose and Peebles Presbytery we are delighted to announce the formal linking of the congregations of Ashkirk and Selkirk with Ettrick and Yarrow which is effective from today, Tuesday 4th May 2021. We give thanks to God and are excited and full of hope and expectation for the future.
Continue reading →
- Christian Aid “kiltcycle” April 26, 2021admin
Christian Aid “kiltcycle” (Saturday 24th April 2021)
Congratulations to (and thanks from) Jane and Jack Peers, who cycled 50 miles around all 5 church buildings in the parishes of Ashkirk, Ettrick & Yarrow, and Selkirk, to raise money for Christians Aid. Watch the short video here.
If you want to sponsor them, you can do so here.