See facebook for other news stories
- Advent Study Group December 2, 2019admin
Advent Study Group 2019 week 2
This week we focussed on the meeting of Mary and Elizabeth, excited and daunted by what was happening to them. Another image by He Qi helped our thinking.
- Advent Study Groups December 2, 2019admin
Advent Study Group 1
This is the beautiful image (by Chinese artist He Qi) of the angel speaking to Mary, that we considered at our first 2019 Advent study.
- Administrator wanted! November 19, 2019admin
We are looking for an office administrator (3 mornings per week, 6 hours in total) to undertake administrative duties supporting Ashkirk and Selkirk churches. Closing date 8th December, 2019.
For more details, click here now
- harvest – creation in our care September 23, 2019admin
harvest – creation in our care
This year, our “creation in our care” service (on 22nd September) was led by a group of members.
The themes for the service were 4 elements of God’s creation:
– air (God’s spirit energising our lives)
– fire (God meets us, like Moses at the burning bush, and fires us up for action
– water (necessary for life, but not available to many in the world)
– earth (we celebrate the earth in all its diversity.
An augmented choir led the congregation in singing specially composed versions of “We plough the fields and scatter”, “Standing on Holy Ground” and “Wide, wide as the ocean”.
The themes were illustrated with a waterfall cascading down from the balcony into the font, bubbles being blown over the congregation, a new “fire” banner, a display of harvest goods in front of the communion table, and photos on the screen (thanks, Alan!)
Continue reading →
- Philiphaugh Community Project – summer 2019 July 27, 2019admin
Working in partnership with SBC Community Learning and Development team at Philiphaugh, the Open Door team have committed to providing a lunch for children and families every Thursday during the school summer holidays. Where possible, food obtained from FareShare is being used.
Week 3 (July 18th) report: 40 adults and kids had a ball today with crafts, outdoor activities at the rugby club followed by food. Good to be on holiday from school! Our Open Door cafe volunteers enjoyed chatting, making wooly pompoms and providing food for us all. Thanks to one and all!