congregation and parish
Selkirk Parish Church is a Church of Scotland congregation, formed in 1986 as a union of three former congregations in the town of Selkirk in the Scottish Borders.
The congregation currently has approximately 500 members, representing a wide age-range and a broad range of theological backgrounds.
The Kirk Session consists of 19 elders, and the Congregational Board has 9 representative elders and 9 elected congregational members.
The present church building was built in 1880. It is a listed building, prominently positioned in the High Street and is a well known landmark.
There is a spacious and versatile accessible church hall, recently refurbished, with adjoining well appointed kitchen, an office, modern toilets, storage space and a meeting room. The hall is well used by the community for groups such as “mums and toddlers”, pilates, Selkirk Antiquarians and for various fund-raising events.
To the rear of the building there is a small vegetable garden which is tended by some members and the produce shared amongst the congregation.
The front entrance has three stone steps, but there is an access ramp at the left-hand entrance, giving access to both the church and the hall.
Both church and hall are fitted with hearing loop systems.
The parish of Selkirk covers the whole of town, and some outlying areas.